HOME PAGE
CEMETERIES





ALLISON CEMETERY COMMITTEE













 

BAPTIST CEMETERY COMMITTEE

 

 Sandra Howard  
254-646-2777
 Neta Light  254-646-2929
 

 

 

 

A BRIEF HISTORY OF EVERGREEN CEMETERY

Tradition says that Pleasant Harris (Pleas) Boyd was the first person buried on the hill east of present day Lipan after he was killed by the Indians in 1866.  Other burials soon followed.  William J. and Permelia Aiken deeded 3.81 acres to the Lipan Masonic Lodge for use as Evergreen Cemetery in 1888.  At later dates, land was purchased/traded from John H. and Dorothy Allen.  Land was also deeded as a gift from Ralph and Myrtis Smith.  The Evergreen Cemetery Association was formed in 1937-1938 and in 2001 became known as the Evergreen Cemetery, Inc., a non-profit  cemetery under IRS Code Section 501 (c) (13).

Local families were responsible for the maintenance of their own cemetery plots from the inception of the cemetery.  Families usually gathered to clean their plots on Decoration Day.  As the size of the cemetery grew, more and more plots became overgrown and unkempt.  Elon Aiken and Mary Ruth Gandy led efforts to clean the cemetery in 1937.  They were assisted by Tom Stell, John Dyer, Pete Queen, Lawrence Smith, Freda Ives, Ted Cox, Walter Windsor, Hattie Chandler, and others.  A committee was establishedfor the cemetery, caretakers were hired, and the Lipan Homecoming was established.

The Committee decided that Homecoming would be held on the first Sunday in June each year.  The first gathering was on June 5, 1938.  Individuals gave donations to hire caretakers to clean the cemetery.  A perpetual care fund was established in the 1960's.

Entertainment and visitation take place on Saturday night.  Sunday activities include a short program which includes prayers, singing, recognition of classes, a welcome, a response, committee reports, collection of donations for the cemeteries, and dinner under the shade trees.  More visitation follows.


EVERGREEN CEMETERY COMMITTEE


 Brenda Brown  254-646-3112
 
   
 Yvette Napier  254-646-3088
 Tom Partusch  254-646-2970
 
 
   
 





Early Day Ceremony at Evergreen Cemetery
Lipan Concert Band Participated
Photo courtesy of Jo Cook Ator

 

MARTIN CEMETERY COMMITTEE - 2009 TRUSTEES

Keith Holt

President
 


           

Vice President

 

 
 
          


 

 
           

 

 
 
           

 

 



BISHOP CEMETERY COMMITTEE

   
Beauton Tipton  254-646-3165 
 
   
 Nicky L. Wilson  






Land for the Bishop Cemetery was given by Allen Payne and Rebecca Bishop about 1873.  Additional land was given by Mr. and Mrs. Buck Rogers about 1927.





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 






This section will contain information about cemeteries in and around Lipan, Texas

Website Builder